So for this post I decided to try to compile a lot of useful, or at least interesting information for people out there who might end up reading it. I wanted to come up with something that will have a lot of facts in it. Along with a lot of knowledge in it. And be interesting to read at the same time.
So I decided to incorporate the help of all of my family and friends. I decided that I wanted a very broad variety of information collected. Coming from a very broad variety of people that I know. This way you are not going to just have one persons opinion on what they think are good things to know in life, but you will have many different peoples opinions on what they think is important to know throughout life.
So I will tell you a little about the different types of people that I have collected this information from. There are my 3 daughters. And they are all 3 as different as night and day in some ways. You have Chelsea, who is now 30 and was a high school English teacher for 6 years. She is now engaged to Eric and is no longer working as a teacher. She is now trying to become a writer. She has a lot of really good short stories.
Chelsea and Eric are also travelers. They have lived in Asia for 7 months and have traveled all over the world.
Then there is Mallory, who is now almost done with nursing school. And just got her MCAT scores back, finding out that she scored in the 90th percentile. Meaning that she can basically take her pick of which medical school she would want to go to. Even schools like Princeton, Yale, and Harvard will not only want to accept her into their med programs, but will probably be seeking her out to go to their schools.
Then we have Mackenzie, my youngest. She is 26 and has been a pole instructor for years now. She is working as a tattoo apprentice at the moment. And is a beast at art!! She has been doing SFX make up for the last 4 years or so. And she is an alternative model.
So there is a pretty broad variety of lifestyles just in my 3 daughters. Then we have my brother in law Rick. He was a factory worker here in my hometown. He retired years ago now. He has always been very big into herbal medicines and natural healing. My father and him used to take my daughters out into the woods showing them different plants, roots, and leaves that you can use for different purposes in life.
Justin, my boyfriend is about the opposite of Rick on their settings in life. Justin was raised up in our hometown and never spent any major time in the country setting like Rick and my family did. He knows nothing of herbal medicines. And probably could barely tell you which tree is a maple tree. But he knows everything there is to know about guitars and writing songs. He is very gifted when it comes to his music.
So I will get started with my list of 100 things you need to know in life. Compiled from all the knowledge of the people that I have listed above.
100 Things that will help you through life, or are just plain interesting to know.
34 Things that you need to know in life, or are just plain interesting!
- Plant a few onions in with your potatoes at the end of your rows. They will help keep the tater bugs off of your potatoes.
- When sleeping in new environments your brain remains half-awake in order to process danger. So, if the world is ever in total meltdown and your tired…a cat nap just might not kill you, but actually save you. Because you are not awake focusing on multiple things at once. Your asleep and your brain is focusing on keeping you out of danger.
- If you are in pain, even physical pain, cuddling can be a literal pain killer because of the oxytocin that is released in your body that blocks pain signals to the brain.
- During the Great Depression game animals went extinct in a lot of areas in the East, South, and Midwest. They didn’t come back for several decades in most of those areas. So if things ever go to hell in a handbag, you should scout your property, and know where what animals live, and how to harvest them without losing them entirely. Bad news being that your neighbors will probably kill them anyway trying to feed their own families. Domestic animals didn’t go extinct during the depression however.
- If you get a snake or spider bite out in the wild, put some jewel weed juice on it and drink or chew a little bit to neutralize the poison enough till you can get to help. In some instances it will make help unnecessary. Jewel weed can also help if your dog gets a rattlesnake bite. Just mash up the stems in sweet milk. Let the dog drink the milk. It will usually save their lives. It also does a fair job of stopping the itch of poison ivy. And it also can help with burns. Just make a paste out of it and apply to poison ivy or to a burn. While jewel weed can help with a burn, it is not as good as aloe juice. Which leads us to number 6.
- Aloe juice is actually edible and pretty good for joint aches and is great for burns,
- Our brain size has decreased by 10% since the Stone Age when we were hunters and gatherers. (So if we lose all contact to the rest of the world and it starts to end, our bodies will most likely evolve to manage and maintain our greater brain mass that will most likely increase)
- A person’s pupil will dilate 45% when looking at something/someone they love. Despite the amount of light involved.
- If you yawn and someone who is next to you or around you does not yawn too, they are more likely to have antisocial behavior or psychopathic tendencies.
- If the world would go to hell in a handbag you can always tap a sycamore tree. Just like you would a maple, and you can drink the sap like water. And in toxic areas the tree will filter out the toxins so the sap will be drinkable.
- If you are ever stabbed, do not remove the object. Keep the object in place until a professional can get there. No professional, then wait for someone else who can be there because you will likely pass out from pulling it out, and bleed to death because you aren’t holding pressure to the wound.
- Our brains are 73% water and being dehydrated by just 2% can cause memory loss, attentive problems and lack of cognitive skills. So drink more water everyone!
- Did you know that there has never been a person that was born blind to develop schizophrenia? Makes you wonder if our minds develop schizophrenia in response to what we see.
- New studies have proven that IQ will increase by 14% while not consuming food with preservatives.
- Emergency blankets, the aluminum foil looking type of mylar can save you a fortune on heating and cooling your home. At usually less than a dollar for a 56″ x 82″ sheet you can reflect heat out in the summer, or hold heat in the winter. You can sew it into curtains, or glue it on blinds. Put it under your mattress, behind furniture backed up to walls, under cushions on couches and chairs, picture frames on outside walls, or anywhere you want to reflect heat.
- The human brain can understand any sentence that is all messed up and misspelled as long as the first and last letters of each word are right. Ex: We can udnrestsnad any msseed up stnecene as long as the lsat and frsit lteerts of wdros era in cncoet palecs. Suhc as Bcbs Assad’s bcc tihs stnecene.
- Fill your gas tank early in the morning because it measures in volume, not weight, and gas is more dense when it’s cold out.
- Did you know that you can become paralyzed from using intravenous needles?Infection got inside my body when I was a heroin addict and I woke up one day and couldn’t move my legs.
- Did you know that marijuana is scheduled as a scheduled 1 narcotic? Right along with heroin and cocaine. That category is drugs that have high addiction potential and little or none medical uses.
- While xannax (alprazolam) is currently still a schedule 4 narcotic. Which means that they are drugs with little addiction possibilities and lots of medical use 😙🤨
- If you get a toothache try putting cotton in both of your ears.
- Another great one for toothaches is to wash your mouth out with warm salt water.
- Did you know that you can petition the court to waive your fees for your drivers license to get reinstated? All you have to do is go to your local courthouse and ask for a form in order to have your drivers license reinstatement fees waived. Fill it out and turn it back in. The courts will only do this for people who cannot afford to pay their fees. So if your making really good money right now, then it is a no go. But if you are struggling with your finances, then you should definitely try it out. And the courts will only do this one time. So if you get yourself back into a situation where you have no license because you owe some really high reinstatement fees, well they will tell you to get lost if you ask again. So my advice is to make it count!
- If you are ever in a spot and can’t get to any shoelaces, zip ties will help you out to keep your shoes on until you can get your shoelaces going again. May not be the most fashionable thing in the world but they will keep your shoes on!
- Don’t ever feed your dog chocolate! It can kill them.
- If you ever encounter a dog that seems like it is trying to get your attention, you should check their collar out for information. This could be a service dog trying to get help for it’s owner. I read a thing online recently about a man who encountered a dog in the middle of the road and after checking his collar he was lead to the address listed on it. Knowing at that point the dog was a service animal he made his way into the dogs address and found a man laying on the floor unconscious. So you never know when it comes to animals out there trying to get your attention. It could be a life threatening situation that this animal is trying to alert you to.
- Did you know that you can make your own self tanning spray and apply it with an airbrush for a great tan at home for barely any money? All you need is an airbrush system, and then you just make up your own tanning spray. You can use instant coffee grounds and I just mixed them with some coconut oil and water. I actually added some tanning oil mixture to mine to see how it worked. And since the tanning oil was a sunless tanning spray it helped a little with the coloring. And it actually has turned out really well. No orange or streaking. It goes on really great as long as you use the airbrush system. I recently started using the luminess airbrush make up. And I have found that the make up I apply is going on so much better. And it goes on looking flawless. I never realized how much of a difference it can make in how your make up goes on and makes you look. But it is a major difference!
- Did you know that you can use clorox bleach instead of shock in your pool? The bleach is a lot less expensive than buying pool shock.
- Did you know that while all of these states are legalizing marijuana, it is still actually illegal at the federal level? Meaning that the federal government (the main law) can supersede over the state’s if they wanted to. So if you are running a business Growing marijuana for a factory in your state, the federal government could legally come in and shut you down. And could legally take you to jail. If they wanted to.
- Did you know that you can get $10 free for using my code with Thred Up? Just sign up with this code: http://www.thredup.com/r/YLFBNN
- Did you know that you can use fabric softener as a detangler? You just take some downy and mix it with water and put in your hair after you wash it. Then rinse it right out. And it will leave your hair so soft and tangle free!
- Did you know that our interstate systems are labeled by East to West being in even numbers, and North to South being odd numbers.
- Did you know that if you would ever feel yourself being pulled out to sea by the current, don’t try swimming straight towards the shore. Just start swimming parallel to the shore until you get to a place where you don’t feel yourself being pulled out anymore. Then start swimming towards the shore.
- Did you know that you can take an old coffee cup, like an old pottery type cup, and flip it upside down to sharpen your knives. You can sharpen them just like a whetstone will.
I have provided links below to some of the items that were mentioned in my list of 34 things you need to know, or are just plain interesting to know list.
I would like to disclose that I may make a small percentage off of qualified sales from the links I am advertising.